Sunday, June 19, 2011

Something Borrowed Movie Review

I promised earlier when I reviewed Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin that I'd follow it up with a review of the film. I practically ran to the theater to see this with my friends. I was so excited after watching both trailers. I knew I wasn't going to be entirely objective, and I don't fool myself into believing I'm a credible film critic. That aside, a promise is a promise. So, to begin, here's what I loved about this adaptation.
I loved:
1. The above video. I don't know what it is, but something about this dance sequence is really human. Anyone who knows how the story ends up feels a little pang for Rachel and Darcy, who, despite both betrayals, did have moments of true friendship.
2. This. Lots and lots of this. 
3. John Krasinski was so incredibly endearing as Ethan. Even though he doesn't have a large role in the book, I'm so glad they decided to forgo the novel on this one. He was just brilliant. So funny and adorable. His witty banter during the trips to the Hamptons was classic.
4. Rachel and Dex. Besides the fact that I just loved ogling Colin Egglesfield during the movie ad nauseum, these two were super-cute together. Their flashback scenes to how they became friends in law school were well-done. 
Could have been better:
1. While I'm glad they ignored the book's lack of Ethan-ness, there were some plot points I wished they'd included in the film. For instance, the 4th of July weekend--not really a big deal in the movie. All of a sudden, Dex's parents were there, throwing an awkward monkey-wrench into the situation. The reasoning behind Dex's parents' shameless promotion of his marriage to Darcy (and his father's unnecessarily nasty comment that Dex better end his relationship with Rachel) was never resolved. It was an odd addition that never really made sense. And was I the only one missing the magic dice? Double sixes! Can't believe they didn't make a cameo.
2. The jig-is-up scene. [SPOILER ALERT!] When Darcy visits Rachel after Dex calls off their wedding, she figures out that Dex is in Rachel's apartment. In the book, she figures it out when she finds Dex's watch on Rachel's nightstand. In the film, she discovers his suit jacket in Rachel's foyer. And instead of finding Dex crouched low in Rachel's closet, wearing nothing but boxers and clutching his clothes, Darcy finds Dex just chillin' in the kitchen. Darcy's raw rage, Rachel's blind panic, and Dex's calm anger never translates. I know this is a danger when books get turned into movies, but this was not how I pictured that scene going down at all
3. The end. I'm sorry, but while the ending in the book is far from cinematic (Rachel and Darcy do not speak), I felt like having them "bump into" each other on the streets of NY was just dumb. It didn't feel genuine at all, and that literary part of me rebelled against this addition. I guess they were setting up for a sequel where Rachel and Darcy can be civil (even though, in Something Blue, they never regain a normal friendship), but I was just disappointed. It felt like the filmmakers were trying to resolve all the conflict, and it ended up too nice-and-neat.
4. It was waaaaay too obvious that Ginny Goodwin was wearing a wig.
All in all, I love the book. I knew a part of me would love the movie purely for that reason. And when it comes out on DVD, you can be sure it'll become a part of my collection. Parts of this movie were well-done, and I laughed pretty consistently throughout. I loved the romance, even wished at times it had been pushed a little further. I hate the times when Dex comes off like he has no backbone, and the moments when you want to slap Rachel for not telling Darcy the truth. Perhaps it's because I read the book that I don't have a problem with the "moral ambiguity" of sleeping with your best friend's fiance. Rachel is sympathetic; Darcy comes off like a giant beeyotch who doesn't deserve Dex the Dreamboat. But there are times when I wish their personalities weren't so contrasting. It leaves people unfamiliar with the story wondering why those two stayed friends for so long.
And, just because....
Shameless, I know. But isn't he gorgeous? Ugh.


Grade: B- (but Colin gets an A)


Photos courtesy of Google Images, and video courtesy of Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment